GIANT CITY SCHOOL HAS P.R.I.D.E.
The mission of Giant City School is to foster a sense of community that meets the needs of the entire school family through challenge, fun and respect. With a commitment to academic excellence, Giant City School encourages lifelong learning and fulfillment of dreams in a safe and nurturing environment. Recognizing individual strengths and differences, Giant City School strives to provide the necessary foundation for a successful life. Giant City School recognizes that some dreams can be met today, some tomorrow, and some not for years to come, but the mission should begin now.
Six schools in this area voted to consolidate in the spring of 1951. These schools were Hastings, located on this site; Zion, located about three miles south of here; Mt. Tabor, located east of the Drury Christian Church; Rendleman, located east of here; Oak, located east of Little Grassy Lake; and New Hope. The new district was comprised of 39.14 square miles. The number of the new district was changed from #131 to #130. Instead of a Board of Directors consisting of three members, a new Board of Education was elected consisting of seven members. Mr. Otis Miller served as president and Robert Tomlinson as secretary of this board the first year. Mr. Virgil N. Wheeles was County Superintendent of Schools in Jackson County during the period of consolidation.
The Rendelman bulding was moved to the Hasting site where a large room was built between the two buildings to provide adequate space for classes to be held. A basement under the entire structure was used as a kitchen and eating area, a play area, and a shop room.
A new name was needed for the new school, and since the road on which the school was located was called the Giant City Road, and led to a state park by the same name, at the suggestion of Aster Lee Wheeles, resident of Zion School, the name “Giant City School” was adopted.
Mr. Claude T. Ross was hired as principal and teacher of the higher grades. In addition to the regular classrooms Mr. Ross taught shop and Mrs. Smith taught sewing on Friday. Seven pupils were graduated at the end of the first year. They were Wilma Gage, Leila Monroe, Wilma Crowell, Susie Nicholson, Francis Hawkins, Bobby Kristoff, and Dickey Kristoff.
Mrs. Dwight Throgmorton was President of the PTA the first year of consolidation and Mrs. Hilda Landis served as secretary.
This old frame building served well as the learning center for Giant City Consolidated School for eleven years. In the fall of 1963, a new brick learning center was occupied with two additions following later.
A second addition on the west side of the brick building was completed in the winter of 1969. This included three new classrooms, our first room to be used as a library, and additional restrooms. During the spring of 1969 the old frame building was removed and the basement filled.
By 1973 a third addition began at the southwest corner of the building. This provided a multi-purpose room to serve as a cafeteria and for many other school functions. Two more classrooms were added to the west side of the multi-purpose room.
In April 1994, a referendum passed to add a new library/media center with upgraded technology, a music room, an art room, and a science lab. A new roof and renovations to administrative offices were also added. The addition was completed for the 1995-96 school year.
Giant City Booster Club
The Giant City School Booster Club supports many athletic opportunities for students.
Giant City School Progress Association (GCSPA)
Join GCSPA today and help make your children’s dreams become a reality!
STI – Grading System
Giant City School’s Grading System
1062 Boskydell Rd. Carbondale, IL 62901
Ph: 618.457.5391 | Fax: 618.549.5060